|March 2012 Fatcow Coupon Transfer Your Web site to One other Host Without Dropping Rank|
On this article I will clarify the right way to safely migrate your website to a brand new host without losing search engine ranking. Or in other words, how NOT emigrate your site to another host and avoid the same errors that I've made.
Mistakes to Avoid
About 5 years in the past, I needed emigrate my website to a new hosting platform. The issue was, I needed to move the location to a Unix host and I had constructed an internet site utilizing Active Server Pages hosted beneath Windows Web Info Server (internet server). At the time, my home windows host had experienced significant downtime and quite a few service outages which have been impacting my business.
Being the competent programmer that I'm, I made a decision to only convert the entire web site to PHP so that it could simply be hosted on my newly acquired whiz bang fancy hosting server. That was not an enterprise that I took lightly, though I undoubtedly should have paid extra attention to the major search engines before even contemplating this change.
I used to be of the naive opinion that since my website was nonetheless underneath the same domain name and the content was equivalent that search engines like google and yahoo equivalent to Google would realize that this is identical website and I would not lose any web page rank. The main mistake that I made was that I had changed to a brand new scripting language which induced all of my URLs to change. Instead of a URL ending with portfolio.asp, I now had all of my pages with the new PHP extension like portfolio.php.
This was mistake number 1. My second mistake was not redirecting my unique URLs utilizing Apache's URL rewriting module (mod_rewrite). This module will tell all guests searching for the outdated pages, that an internet web page has permanently moved by way of an HTTP redirect (standing code 301). With out this data, all of my exhausting-earned web page rank was lost and by the time that I found out what happened, it was too late for me to right the problem.
This type of mistake is every webmaster's nightmare and undoubtedly one thing it is best to hope to avoid. One factor you notice as a webmaster is that no website change should be taken lightly. Pay attention to the implications of your actions on the major search engines and also for visitors to your site who count on a sure level of usability and friendliness from you website.
Website Mistakes to Avoid
* Changing your web page URLs (script names, doc path, or domain title)
* Changing Your Web site to One other Scripting Language so that the URL is affected (see above)
* Duplicating content material from one page to another
* Duplicating content from one domain to a different
* Duplicating title tags
* Duplicating META description tags
Duplicating content is a giant concern for webmasters because of the means that search engines index content. When a search engine finds duplicate content material, it will just ignore the duplicated content. Only content for the primary or most "authoritative" page will be indexed. As a webmaster, it would be best to be sure that your content material is exclusive and also relevant to the web page its positioned on.
Webmasters also needs to be careful to not duplicate content material in TITLE and META DESCRIPTION elements which seem within the HEAD part of a document. This content material is picked up by serps and used to create the actual search results which appear in sites resembling Yahoo and Bing.
Tips on how to Safely Migrate a Website
So now that you have learn my admonitions, but you continue to need to migrate your website to a brand new host, here are some pointers to comply with to do so safely without shedding page rank.
At first, before you start any migration, you need to be sure your website conforms to the Google Webmaster Guidelines. These pointers comprise detailed directions on what search engines like google and yahoo look for in a website. The foundations not solely provide help to to make your website more usable for guests and searchers, they also provide help to to rank higher for vital key phrases for organic search marketing.
If you're changing URLs
In case you are changing URLs for the pages in your website because you are changing to a brand new server-facet scripting language or you are simply re-organizing pages in your web site, it is best to comply with these additional tips:
* Ensure you put a permanent redirect (HTTP standing 301) for all the outdated URLs in your web site you want to migrate.
* All pages ought to be navigated utilizing commonplace HTML hyperlinks
* All related content material needs to be embedded utilizing plain outdated HTML
What if I lose Web page Rank?
What should you do in the event you lose web page rank after a migration? Whether you adopted the rules above or not, you possibly can nonetheless take corrective motion so long as it hasn't been too lengthy because you carried out your migration.
The first thought on loads of webmaster's minds is to revert the web site again to the previous model to try to regain the page rank. This may occasionally definitely be an option, but it is not one which I might advise. The next ideas ought to assist you to to regain your page rank without reverting your website.
* If you haven't already, observe all the pointers above for migrating your web site correctly
* This includes placing in all of the redirects for URLs which have changed
* Google allows you to request reconsideration of your web site on account of poor rating
* Page rank could be lost as the results of a penalty incurred because a website has participated in a hyperlink-swapping scheme or purchased hyperlinks for enhancing search engine rank.
Monitoring Your Rating
There are loads of tools accessible to webmasters who wish to observe their web site rankings. Check out Search Engine Optimization plug-ins for Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. They provide site owners with a wealth of data for marketing your website. Among the options they provide embrace search engine ranking, complete pages indexed, variety of backlinks, and any HTML validation errors that occurred whereas parsing the HTML markup.
Take a look at the Web Rank toolbar for the Firefox browser and Chrome search engine optimization add-on for the Chrome browser. Also, the website positioning site tools add-on for Chrome is very helpful for tracking your search engine metrics. To learn extra about online advertising of internet sites, check out the search engine optimisation Moz website. You'll find a lot of info here regarding optimizing and advertising and marketing your website.
You should definitely educate yourself on search engine optimization and SEM as a result of it is a frequently evolving field and there are new discoveries and improvements being made all the time. Solely by fixed vigilance and persistence can site owners hope to market and handle a enterprise successfully.
First, let me clarify something. There are various the reason why you would wish to have your web site professionally hosted. However, individuals in sure situations are higher off hosting their site themselves. For instance, in case you are starting a new enterprise or enjoying with an idea that you are not positive will work, you may not want to pay a hosting firm to host your website, at first. Hosting the location yourself will assist you to lower your expenses that you can use to develop your business. As soon as your enterprise starts rising and your website starts getting lots of guests, then you can see it essential to pay an internet hosting company to host it for you, but until then, it's essential to check the waters.
In case you have a computer and a excessive velocity internet connection (DSL/Cable) you possibly can host your personal website. You'll need to maintain your pc on and on-line 24/7, which must be no big deal. Apart from this, you want solely to observe the 7 steps I describe beneath, to make your website obtainable to users on the web:
1) Set up a web server: Most Windows working programs both include a web server, or one will be downloaded at no cost relying on the version of Windows. The net server is the program that runs in the background in your computer listening to requests from people on the internet. It's the software program that finds your pages in your laptop and sends them to the users requesting it.
2) Configure the web server: On this step you simply inform your web server where to search out your web site that is sitting somewhere in your computer.
3) Get a domain identify: On this step you decide on the title that you want in your web site and purchase it from a provider. Domain names are low cost and also you pay the payment solely once a year.
four) Configure DNS: This is where you associate your web site title with the IP handle of your pc so customers are transferred to your pc when typing the title of your website.
5) Configure your router: Your router must know concerning the computer that has the online web page so it is aware of where to ahead customers to.
6) Dynamic IP resolution: Most people have a dynamic IP handle given to them by their ISP. This means the IP handle of your laptop may change. This is a drawback as a result of DNS needs to know the IP deal with of the pc that folks need to be forwarded to when typing a domain name. There is a technique to remedy this downside without having to pay your ISP extra money for a static IP. There are functions that can automatically update DNS when your IP changes.
7) Securing your server: The last step is to verify your pc is protected from malicious applications on the web by having the necessary software installed and configured.
|< Prev||Next >|